The town hall is Leuven's pride and joy. Moreover, it's one of the best-known Gothic town halls worldwide. It took three architects and thirty years to build it. Leuven's 'Hall of Fame' features 236 statues, which were only added to the façade after 1850.
These days the town hall merely has a ceremonial function after the city's administrative services moved in 2009. The tourist information center is situated on the side of the town hall.
Daily guided tour
The guide will tell you about the construction history of this Gothic gem. You will discover the story behind the 236 sculptures on the façade. Afterwards, you can visit the foyer, the reception rooms, the large and small Gothic Hall, the wedding hall and the council hall.
Town hall cellars
Every third Saturday of the month you can visit the cellars under the town hall. These cellars have housed the ‘Jaartallen’ collection since the very first edition in 1890. The entrance is located at Grote Markt square next to the town hall’s flight of step.
Individual visitor? Join one of the scheduled tours:
- Mondays, Wednesdays & Sundays: 3 pm (Dutch/French)
Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays: 3 pm (Dutch/English)
Satudays: 3 pm (Dutch) & 3.30 pm (English)
- Price: 4 euro (guided tour + booklet)
- Tickets: Tourism Leuven, Naamsestraat 3 or online
- Tip! ILUVLeuven Ticket: visit the highlights of Leuven at an interesting rate
- Maximum 25 persons per group
- Languages: Dutch, French, English, German & Spanish
- Price: 6 euro per person with a minimum of 72 euro per group
- By reservation only: Leuven+
Town hall cellars:
- Every 3rd Saturday of the month: 10 am-5 pm
- Free entrance