Did you know that the Big Bang theory has its origins in Leuven? The ground-breaking research conducted by Professor Georges Lemaître into the origin of our universe put Leuven unambiguously on the world map.
BOOM! The Big Bang city festival ambitiously links science and art in a series of exhibitions, installations, performances, happenings, lectures and other events.
What can you expect?
A series of world-class exhibitions in Leuven’s various museums:
- M Leuven ‘Imagining the Universe’: a prestigious exhibition exploring how the universe was depicted by artists and philosophers from ancient times until the 19th century.
- University Library ‘To the Edge of Time’: an exhibition on the interface of science and contemporary visual art and for which the ground-breaking scientific research of Georges Lemaître serves as the starting point.
- Dialogue museum PARCUM connects the city centre with the beautiful grounds of Park Abbey.
- Interventions in public spaces.
An innovative programme of music in collaboration with the Stuk arts centre and with the cosmos as a source of inspiration, from 25 November to 5 December 2021. Ranging from Flemish Polyphony to experimental sound, the programme has international allure and features several new creations.
A sophisticated programme of lectures and debates. BOOM! The Big Bang city festival brings together world-renowned Flemish scientists and prominent international thinkers.
A fascinating as well as educational programme geared towards families, with the title Big Bang for Kids. It includes a brand-new theatrical production by fABULEUS and countless initiatives such as the ‘Dag van de Ruimtevaart’ (day of the space industry), a day dedicated to human space flight organised in conjunction with the Flemish space industry.
- 16.10.2021 - 30.01.2022
- Various locations in Leuven
- More information: Facebook