- 1. A low-key pub in a vibrant street; it can only be the Metafoor. Its expansive beer menu makes this a pleasant place for beer enthusiasts to while away the time. You can also play party games here.
Parijsstraat 34 | Facebook
- 2. The fact that they roast their own beans makes Koffie Onan one of the most well-known coffeehouses in Leuven. Its size means that you may have to wait a while to get a seat, but once you’ve got one, you can enjoy a great cup of coffee, a cup of one of their many teas, or a milkshake.
Parijsstraat 28 | www.koffieonan.be
- 3. Experience Italian cuisine at Baracca. Social bites are the buzzword here! Flavoursome, small portions of Italian food meant to be shared with friends. You can watch all of the dishes being made in the open kitchen and, if you’re lucky, there is still a spot at the bar, which isn’t even a metre away from where all that deliciousness is being made. Reservations are definitely recommended.
Tiensestraat 34 | www.baracca.be | Facebook
- 4. You can find tonnes of unique boutiques and attractive places to eat in the pedestrian-only part of the Mechelsestraat. Be sure to stop in at the Pakjeshuis, where you’re always sure to find a great present. Mixte is has the best shopping for fashionistas, and Petit Bateau has outfits that are perfect for your little ones.
Mechelsestraat | Facebook
- 5. Do you like to read while also enjoying a delicious cup of coffee? Then Barbóék is the place for you! You’ll find this cosy cross between a coffeeshop and bookstore hidden in a little side street in the city centre. Its retro chairs and comfortable interior is the perfect location for many a Leuven residents to find some rest and relaxation. If coffee’s not your thing, then be sure to give their excellent hot chocolate with whipped cream a try.
Schrijnmakersstraat 17 | www.barboek.be | Facebook
- 6. Head over to Hippo! Royale for dresses, trousers, jumpers, and accessories with a retro vibe. This colourful shop’s interior is playful and incredibly inviting. The friendly sales staff is always ready to provide you with personalised advice. If you happen to be in the vibrant Parijsstraat, then be sure to pop in, even if it’s just to take in the special ambiance of the shop.
Parijsstraat 44 | Facebook
- 7. A few years ago, the city of Leuven reopened the view to several parts of the Dyle River. The Dijleterrassen were built to make the river more attractive, bringing you right up to the water’s edge. It’s a great place to spend a few hours soaking up the sun, made even more perfect at sunset, when you can enjoy a sultry night out with friends.
Dirk Boutslaan | Dijleterrassen
- 8. Superhero movies are a fixed presence in the theatres anymore, and have opened up a whole new world for many people. You can explore this world to your heart’s content at Het Besloten Land. The owner will be happy to guide you in your search, and will passionately tell you about every book in his shop.
Parijsstraat 16 | www.hbl.be | Facebook
- 9. Come rediscover the classic hot dog at Würst. In collaboration with butcher Philippe Rondou, Jeroen Meus is serving this well-known fast food staple in a brand-new way. From the handmade buns to the handmade sausages, with freshly prepared guacamole and spicy chorizo, each one of this famous Belgian TV chef’s hot dog creations will entrance you.
Margarethaplein 1 | www.wurstdogs.be | Facebook